Food Vlog – Nihari in breakfast!
I wasn’t planning on cycling today. It’s been raining in Jaipur from past couple of weeks. I kicked the blanket aside and got up. I looked at my bike and kept staring for a few minutes. Gathered my strength and got up finally. Green tea comes to the rescue, got my blood finally going through my veins. Strava was on and starting riding towards Nahargarh since it’s the only place in Jaipur that goes phenomenally great from amazing when it rains.
Thought of Nihari, and immediately thoughts of Garib Nawaz. One of my cycling buddies introduced me to Garib Nawaz and since then this has been my place of choice if it comes to chicken dish or mutton nihari in the breakfast.
Reaching Garib Nawaz
Garib Nawaz is one of the famous shops in the entire Jaipur for its non-veg variety and outstanding taste that it offers. This eatery serves a good number of customers every day and offering a warm welcome to them is in their inherent quality. The heart-winning ambience binds your attention with its spell. Gareeb Nawaz is located at Ramganj in Jaipur just adjacent to MM Khan hotel. MM Khan, which also happens to be a popular eating joint when it comes to no vegetarian food.
Amazing Mutton Nihari
MUTTON NIHARI PREPARATION
Nihari is a deliciously smooth flour based stew with slow-cooked mutton and a myriad of spices. This mutton nihari recipe takes around 4 hours to cook but it’s easy to put together. To get the best flavour, the mutton is cooked on very low heat for up to 4 hours.
My friend who also happens to be a chef shared the recipe with me. I am definitely going to try making Nihari this winter. Here is what he shared.
How to Make Nihari Gosht
- Heat oil in a pan and add green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom and bay leaves.
- Add the meat and saute till lightly fried.
- Add salt and turmeric and mix well.
- Pour in the water, cover the pan and cook.
- When it starts boiling, add ginger- garlic paste, coriander powder, red chilli, garlic paste and onion paste.
- Mix well and add yoghurt, Gulab-Jal, garam masala, nutmeg and cinnamon powder and saffron.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now transfer the meat in a heavy bottom pan and strain the gravy.
- Add a few drops of itar and cover the pan.
- Seal it with the wheat dough and cook on slow fire.
- Once done, garnish with fresh coriander and ginger juliennes and serve.
I also made a video log of my ride till Nahargarh and then feasting on delicious Nihari. Hope you guys like it. Subscribe my channel to stay tuned for more food video logs and next time if you are craving for a chicken dish head towards Garib Nawaz.